stufff
Lurker

stufff is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinkley
Stufff,

I've only been doing this maybe three weeks, so if I'm wrong I know someone will correct me. "Cooking" is basically taking all sorts of programs and making it into one giant "install" (ROM) to your PPC. It's "cooked" into your phone, meaning it doesn't show up as an installed program, it's just there, but it's on a separate part of your memory, so you have more space avilable afterwards. Downloading a kitchen and running the "BuildOS" program will probably help this make sense, its a big list of all the available programs that come on the PPC and that people have made available to us. Simply check the ones you want and they will be "cooked" into your ROM. You have to start over after flashing firmware, it would be a waste of time to set everything up and then flash your phone. That is the basis for cooking your own roms, because you have all the programs available to you after a hard reset, they're in your ROM, so they're there immediately.

Second, CAB files are like EXE files, but for your PPC. Sync to your PC and drag and drop the files onto your PPC. From your PPC go into file explorer and run the CAB. It will then install a program on your PPC. Yet another reason cooking your own ROM is such a great idea, you don't have to mess with CAB installs of your favorite programs if you include it in your ROM, because the ROM installs it automatically!

Don't worry about being confused... I'm still confused about a lot of stuff these guys do. The mods and members of this forum have amazing talents... people like you and me just hang on for the ride, and hope to grab some helpful advice along the way!
Thanks! That was very helpful.

One more question, about installing firmware. What do I need to do? Just hit the voice button and power? I don't get a notification that the phone has gone into bootloader mode or anything.

Also, can I do this without an SD card? I'm still waiting on mine to come in the mail and it wont be here for another 4 days.