View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 02:17 AM
scrosler
VIP Member

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: XV6800/Titan still the phone or has its time come? What Should I Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael201 View Post
yes i've been shamelessly starting new threads and this will probably be the end all be all thread. Hopefully this will give me as well as others, who are interested in the Titan, more updated opinions with respect to current offerings.

so for the past month i've been painstakingly wasting precious studying time looking for a cellphone to replace a Krazor that drains its own battery till it is hot and a MotoQ that runs out of batteries after 5 min talk time. Yes i've lost all faith in Motorola save the sweetass Timeport.

The criteria in my search were: (1) full QWERTY keyboard (2) PDA

I was originally set on the Palm Centro (my family is a Palm Treo family) but due to some issues at the store I wasn't eligible for the upgrade anymore. I was disappointed at first but I am glad I didn't because last I checked, my thumbs were not of a 12 year old.

Enter the XV6800 (because on eBay the Touch Pro was frighteningly more expensive). All looked at some of the ROMs people were loading on the phone and I was seriously impressed. So began my hunt for the XV6800 on eBay. To make a long story short (you could read my other thread), I finally got one for a bit more than I bargained for ($237 fresh refurbished). Now that I have been playing with it I wanted to leave my impressions and seek the advice of Titan users on this forum. Whether to continue with this device or purchase a temporary phone until August (when I would be eligible to switch carriers).

Impressions:
I like the touch screen and I like the keyboard and everything seems very solid. I like how sensitive the buttons are. The touch screen is not really sensitive for fingers, but I'm guessing it's because it's for a stylus (yet the ported TouchFlo). My favorite feature is definitely the WiFi and then the aGPS. I really don't have much for comparison coming from the MotoQ and playing with my brother's Treo. It's definitely a different type of phone. I can say that I think the keyboard is a bit too big and I find typing is slower than on a Q/Treo/Blackberry. Battery life I think is not a real big issue but I can see it being a problem under heavier use. Windows Mobile 6.1 is interesting, but maybe a little cumbersome to navigate at times (Kitchen?).

Conclusion:
It's difficult to keep this phone since I paid too much and it doesn't have a warranty that I can call or walk into a store with. I am so jealous of everyone here that can just walk into the store and invoke their TEP because right now I have no safety net if anything happens to this phone (other than contacting the seller and asking him to follow up on his Asurion claim). I am thinking I could return it to the seller and just pick up a Treo 700p off eBay (I know I will never learn) and use that until my contract expires and hopefully then, there will be more [affordable] options, including better supported G1 and Palm Pre. I should mention that I am a medical student and all I really need is epocrates.

P.S. Yes there was a similar thread at PDAPhoneHome
Sell it and get TouchPro.

Donations always accepted but never expected!