View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 AM
FormerPalmOS
Regular 'Geeker

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 12/25/08 Verizon GPS Fix v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllboredlll View Post
Have a general question to ask....... do you guys really want agps? I've got it working but I'm hesitant about releasing it.

Let me know what you think. Keep in mind you have GPS that should work fairly well. Is there really a point in having AGPS?
QuickGPS takes up 1MB of memory sitting there doing absolutely nothing. It's magic is done when it actually downloads the almanac - it doesn't actually do anything when you turn on the GPS receiver and request a fix. The receiver uses the data that QGPS downloaded. So, in theory if you were somewhat dilligent, you could be sure that you manually downloaded the almanac before it expired and do for yourself what QGPS does for you. 1 MB is a lot to us gimped-out Verizon customers.

Or just use .Fred to stop the QGPS service after boot...

For applications like Google Maps that require a data connection anyway, AGPS may save battery life if you can use only the cell towers - but this would require a QPST setting to disable the receiver, basically requiring you to have a data connection to get a fix. Not a great solution.

For applications like TomTom that don't need a data connection, I would expect autonomous GPS (i.e. no aGPS, no data connection, heck - the cellular radio can be turned off) to use less battery.

So it's a toss-up.

For voting purposes, my particular vote is no I don't need aGPS but will play with an automated, relatively easy, reversible (or enable-able / disable-able) solution if given one.