View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
lllboredlll
VIP Member
Threadstarter

lllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Better battery life - aGPS or QuickGPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPalmOS View Post
Many folks seem quite happy with QuickGPS. Not being able to install it myself, I am not yet a believer that it does any good. But if the driver does indeed utilize the downloaded almanac than it would help with quicker locks. It also stands to reason that it should yield lower battery drain than aGPS. I believe aGPS requires a constant data connection while using GPS. Which means a) your phone is on and b) your data is on - both of which suck battery juice like a 7 year old sucks kool-aid. With QuickGPS you should be able to turn off the cellular radio. Or leave it on. Or listen to internet radio. Or whatever.

Any thoughts on this (other than "buy a car charger" )?

Under what circumstances would aGPS be a better solution than QuickGPS?
QuickGPS updates qualcomm chipset satellite map - xtra.bin...so yes it will reduce battery drain due to the non-dependency on agps.

Updating once a week is all that is needed. It don't matter if you goto Australia during that week. The update give you a trajectory map of the DOD and private Sat's active for global positioning.

AGPS does one thing QuickGPS don't. You can achieve Tower Triangulation.

Accepted NOT Expected
This post has been thanked 4 times.