View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Cmass
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Cmass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: A challenge to all gurus: Help me keep my phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post
Perhaps I missed an answer but one of your original complaints was about the "ridiculous dangling" stylus.

I trust you've gotten over it by discovering it's not needed any longer. Like all ex-users of Treos and Samsung i760s and the like, we were all used to grabbing the stylus when needed. When I unpacked my Omnia I dutifully hung the thing though I hated everything about it.

A few minutes of little research later and I discovered what a great thing the optical mouse is. On top of it, there's an app floating around that toggles the mouse on and off when run. By assigning that app to a long keypress of the camera key, I am doing the equivalent of pulling out the stylus using it when needed, then putting it back away. I took the stylus off my phone and hung it on my keychain "just in case". I haven't used it since and there it has sat ever since.
Even when you need to reset your phone, 99 of 100 times, it can be done by holding down the power button on top and not needing the paper clip or whatever.
Between finger-friendly software and the optical mouse I think the stylus has gone the way of high-button shoes.
It is the teensy sliders I have the most trouble with - and they are used extensively. I am very surprised nobody has created an app that doubles the width of them - there is plenty of real estate to do so without interfering with programs.
I hate using stylus and refuse to do so - especially on a phone - so the dangly thing is not an option.
I have used the mouse but found it barely functional. The problem is that it is too small. As my fingertip moves across it, the arrow moves but then we come to the edge of my fingertip and the arrow stops. This means I have to reposition my fingertip again and usually while doing this the arrow moves a bit out of alignment. I have tried both the fast and slow arrow settings. The fast is better but then it jumps around more.
BTW: My wife has a Saga and the optical mouse is twice the size. It works great.