View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
JonV
Regular 'Geeker

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Getting IMAP Email on Omnia

So you can receive but not send? Mmm. That means that either you have the wrong serve name, wrong credentials or the server does not support outgoing. I've seen the latter case in my day. Actually it was back using POP3 but I could receive using some web service but I could only send with my real ISP (Comacast, etc.)

As I said, normally my IMAP incoming and outgoing servers have different prefixes in their name (imap vs. smtp). And you checked to use the same credentials as incoming? If you are using the same service, that should work.

One more time, did you say you HAVE or HAD IMAP working using Outlook on a desktop PC?

I'm afraid I don't have more answer so all I can do is keep asking questions. (An old trick I learned doing software support)

As for Exchange: if your company runs their email through Outlook, they would probably be using an Exchange server to do so. I'm no expert bit I can access my company email just by adding an account and giving it the server name and basic credentials (webmail.xxxx.com). I then get push email via Exchange.

When I set up ActiveSync I set up email via Exchange and contacts and calendar via Windows PC. My other email accounts (IMAP) don't go through ActiveSync at all.

Oh finally, wireless sync is an app that runs on a desktop PC and handles email by pulling and pushing through a connection between the Omnia and your desktop. This can be used I suppose if the direct Exchange thing didn't work. You shouldn't need this unless your IMAP server is wacky.
This post has been thanked 1 times.