PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Cmass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Pink camera??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc_adio07 View Post
Cmass, after reading this thread I'm starting to agree on your side. I'm a Verizon Wireless Supervisor Tech, Specifically for FRU's (Field Replacement Unit) Are you within your 30 day worry free guarantee? Or are you past that? Make your reply here and we'll talk a bit before I PM you info on how to get it swapped out.
I am barely within my 30 days which is part of my panic in getting everything related to this phone all worked out. If you have access to FR Omnias, have you by chanced checked them for this issue?

The store manager said he would swap it out for $35. (This guy was unbelievably poor with people - very hostile) This manager and the sales rep I was assigned refused to acknowledge the issue while everyone around me I asked all saw it immediately. (Look at the examples on this thread!) They made up all sorts of bizarre reasons including that the red signs in the store were creating the effect! We then took mine and another Omnia outside to compare: It too had the same problem. The manager never actually said "Oh, I see what you are talking about now". Instead, he simply changed his line to: " ALL Samsungs are like that."

A GOOD business manager would have taken me seriously and tried to see what I was seeing rather than taking a defensive posture trying to prove me wrong at all costs. Once he saw it he should have immediately called over his best tech. Then he should have given me a game plan which included pulling product form the shelf until he was able to contact Samsung and get an explanation - and then he should have promised to get hold of me once he had it figured out. Instead, he walked away and went back to his office without another word.

In my note to Samsung I reminded them this was a new phone and new phones do not need bad reputations right out of the gate. I told them I expected them to contact me immediately and get this resolved.
Of course, I never even received acknowledgement of my submission to them.

At this point I am most interested in what others see in their cameras. I really would like to know if this is an Omnia problem or a problem with just a batch of Omnias.

Having worked as a quality and manufacturing engineer in numerous electronics assembly facilities I know there can be - sometimes large - batches of defective components sent out. Often problems arise when quality testing is inadequate or inappropriate. In this case, I highly doubt they are doing anything more than a quick functionality test. It may even be a plug in test whereby a computer runs diagnostics of the phone system. In that case, no human is checking anything and even if they were, I highly doubt they check the CCDs for aberrations.

If we were to travel upstream to the CCD manufacturer they may be doing something similar and perhaps only checking the most commonly problematic parameters such as dead pixels or sensitivity. They may not even notice color aberrations that occur in certain conditions.
Of course, the more sinister possibility is that they are dumping junk CCDs at phone cameras knowing people aren't expecting much anyway and won't complain.