Lurker
Threadstarter

doseman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Omnia vs. Iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous9200 View Post
Honestly I'm not sure why you even posted here (OP), since this forum is made up mostly of Windows Mobile power users who know about the iPhone but don't want it's limitations and/or want a device that is infinitely more customizable. Granted the iPhone and it's apps may be prettier and in some cases simpler, but other smartphones have had apps for quite some time. WinMo is certainly due for a makeover, but not only do most manufacturers put their own layers on top of the default software, a WinMo phone can use anything that's been created for it (no inconsistent App Store judges, and no needing to jailbreak the phone for simple yet missing functionality, only to have it reversed in the next update, or become bricked). And the whole iPhone killer thing...it's from the media. They all compare any full touchscreen device to the iPhone just because Apple is a media darling and almost always look good to them. I personally don't care about needing to feel superior to anyone, I just want a device that fits my needs. This forum exists for a reason - it's a place where owners of many different devices can share apps, tweaks and other knowledge to make their devices better. Your iPhone may be pretty, but doesn't have the same level of customization - and you can't replace the battery when it stops losing a charge, you just buy the next iPhone with one or two features more that the last one was missing.
Since this is a discussion, regarding the point - "a WinMo phone can use anything that's been created for it" - What about google maps? Not working (yet) on the Omnia.
A few of the games I tried were simply not compatible 'control-wise' with the Omnia (ie. 3D Super-G Stunt).

Honestly, I found the selection of quality apps for the winmo pretty limited considering how long the OS has been available. Having no keyboard, makes this list of working apps even more restrictive on the Omnia.

Also, I havent played around with Jailbreaking at all, but it appears (from reading) that Iphones don't traditionally become bricked as you can easily restore them to factory defaults if you encounter issues.

I understand that 'iphone killer' is a media moniker, but I think the phrasing stems from a phone's ability to capture market share. I don;t think this phone will do it.
I think the Storm will sell more units (better marketing and just because it's a blackberry)

Please see my comments in post above regaridng basic usability and cutomization.(i.e The keyboard, the phone keypad & the in-phone lock.)

Also, to adress syrguy1968's (and other's) comments. - I do believe the comparison is vaild and I do not belive this is an apples to oranges comparison at all. They are both smartphone's/pocket 'computers' with multimedia capabilities. Am I missing something?

I understand the 'green button shorcut' to dial out, but again I simply was expressing what happened when I used my Wife as a litmus test.

Again, I am simpky sharing my frustration(s) after using the Omnia for 3 weeks. I am not bashing the device, but I do believe there is room for vast imporvement of the default options offered. As it is, many have spoken of purchasing 3rd party apps to make up for many of the phone's shortcomings (Resco Keyboard or S2U2 for alerting)
If other's are considering buying the Omnia, I just thought that my comments may be helpful.

Last edited by doseman; 01-02-2009 at 01:24 PM.