Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 PM
DaveNagy
N00b

DaveNagy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Do you use WiFi on Diamond?

Okay, here we go again....

WiFi off, Data on. Mobile speed test says, 219 kbit/sec. Kinda slow, but a fairly typical result. Closing the browser...

WiFi on, Data on. Good solid connection to my wireless access point. Opening Opera. Running another speed test. 1414 kbit/sec. Wow, that's a new record. Could it be that it's using the WiFi? Hard to know. Closing the browser...

WiFi on, Data off. Wait for a while. The "EV" no longer shows on the Today screen, so I think that worked. Called voicemail. That still works. Let's do another speed test: 1984 kbit/sec! Wow, that's just about has to be via WiFi.

Closing browser. WiFi off, Data off. Hmmph, "EV" has shown up again on the Today screen, even though the Communications page still shows the Data Connection as being off. Let's look again. Yep, it still says it's off. Let's try a speed test. Yep, I've definitely still got internet. 221 kbit/sec. Looks like I'm back on EVDO.

I guess the phone automatically re-establishes the EVDO when it needs to? Good idea, I guess, but the fact that the Communications screen does not reflect this worries me a bit. What will happen if I turn it on now, when it's obviously already on? Crash time? Let's find out.

Oh, will you look at that: Now it says Data Connection is turned on. I guess it just takes awhile for the page to sync up with reality.

Anywho, yes, it seems if you turn on WiFi and then turn off Data afterwards, the phone will happily use the WiFi connection.