View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 06:17 PM
DaveNagy
N00b

DaveNagy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Do you use WiFi on Diamond?

I'm going to semi-hijack this thread to ask a related question....

I've only owned my Diamond for a couple days, so I'm a newb. Last night at home I was thinking, "Hmm, maybe I should use WiFi rather than EVDO when I'm home and doing bandwidth-intensive stuff." (I was downloading a podcast at the time.)

So I turned on WiFi and got connected to my home network. My phone radio was still on at that point as well. I went to the DSLReports mobile speedtest site, and got a result of 300kb/sec or so. Typical for EVDO, but very slow for Wifi. (Laptops in my house can typically pull several Mb/sec when connected wirelessly to my router/cable modem.) I then turned off the "Cellular Radio" in my phone. My results didn't seem to change much. This leads to several questions:
  1. Does turning off the "Phone" radio turn off data too? That's not ideal since I'd like to be able to make and take calls while using WiFi. But maybe it doesn't work that way.
  2. I also saw "Data Connection" listed in TF3D > Settings > Communications, but it was greyed out and seemed to be off already. I thought maybe that was related to a wired active-sync connection or something. Today, it's not greyed out, so maybe I misinterpreted that.
  3. Is there a way to tell the phone to use the EVDO connection by default, but to automatically switch over to WiFi when available? (I typically keep WiFi turned off, but I could turn it on when near known hotspots.) Windows Help told me to go to "Manage Existing Connections", and choose "Auto Pick". Sounds great, but I don't see that option where they claim it is. (Start > Settings > Connections (tab) > Connections) I theorize that maybe I don't have more than one connection properly configured yet? Help?