Ebag333
Lurker

Ebag333 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: treo 800w roms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
Ebag333, who did the popular 700wx WM6 ROMs, has a working version for the 800w.

Problem is: no one wants to volunteer to test! He can't afford to lose his phone during this peak time, so he hasn't done it himself yet.
Whoa whoa whoa, hold on now. I never said it was working, just that I had one. BIG difference.

If someone wants to try a custom ROM, e-mail is the best way to get a hold of me. I would strongly suggest that you not try it unless you are 100% willing to take your phone and throw it into the garbage. This isn't "oops, guess I need to hard reset" stuff, this is "oops, guess my 800w makes a nice doorstop."

I have no idea if the ROM is working or not because I haven't tested it. While I do have the various bits and pieces, I have had no luck extracting the files from the XIP. That could simply be because there is a problem with the files in the XIP that the extraction program is choking on (like an unexpected file, two files with the same name, etc), because it's a form of XIP not supported by the current extraction programs (possible as it's Palm's and not HTC), or because it's a bad XIP.

I've grabbed the entire XIP partition multiple times, so I think it's okay and the programs just can't handle it, but I have no way of testing this without flashing it to a phone.

To give you an idea of how dangerous this is, I will not flash it to my phone. Working from an existing released official ROM is about 1000x easier (and safer) than working the way that I am.

Tell you guys what....let me play around with this some more and see what I can figure out. There is also potentially another method for just flashing the ROM part (and not the XIP) which should be much safer. Give me a bit of time and I will see what I can find out, and post up here.

I'm just really nervous about bricking someone else's phone. If it was mine....well....tough luck. But someone else's.....