View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
esqueue
Halfway to VIP Status

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Improve Wi-Fi Speed!

I did some before and after testing transferring files over the network from my computer to my TP. The file is a 47.3 megabyte avi file transferred to the temp folder in my phone. The times are exact to the second.

I used a network connection as it usually pushes the connection to the max. 802.11b has a max speed of 11megabits per second granted that there is no overhead. Of course actual speeds are slower but even 6 megabits per second is you shouldn't see any internet slowdown.

Before: 3 minutes and 3 seconds
After: 3 minutes and 2 seconds & 3 minutes 0 seconds

Hmmm, disappointing results. My personal tests say that it doesn't help improve speeds in anyway. That is insanely slow. that is actually slower than my internet. Something is bottlenecking the **** out of my speeds here.

EDIT: I just realized that my router was set to G prior to installing this regedit. (That's my my Axim x30 couldn't connect) Surprisingly the mogul connected as I haven't messed with my router for months. TP always connected to g just not g speeds.

EDIT2: I uninstalled the regedit and got 3 minutes and 1 second but decided to change wi-fi power mode to best performance and only yielded 2 minutes 59 seconds. Not worth the possible battery drain.

Last edited by esqueue; 12-22-2008 at 11:51 AM.