Old 12-21-2008, 02:01 PM
lexluthor
Regular 'Geeker

lexluthor is keeping up the good worklexluthor is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: UPDATED-2: Verizon GPS Fix.....Phase I

Ok. I got it working.

I find that I do need to run the HTC GPS Tool first. I set it to COM4, 57600 baud and cold start, then open port.

I didn't have to change the GPS type.

I think somewhere up above references 4800 baud, I don't think that worked for me.

If I close it and run Google Maps right away, it works. I did have to set Goolge Maps to COM4 and 57600. If I don't run Google Maps right away, it doesn't. If I leave the GPS Tool running and run google maps, that works. Also, if I don't have the GPS Tool running, I think it just keeps the satellite list that the GPS Tool had when it was last running. If I keep the GPS tool running, then I see Google Maps updating the number of connections. I need more testing to verify this.

Live Search also works in a similar manner. I needed to set that to COM4 as well.

I think many in this thread are GPS users on other phones and know about all of this. For the newbs, hopefully this is helpful info.

I think maybe the best thing, from what I can tell so far, is to run the HTC GPS tool using COM4/57600 baud, get a lock on some satellites, leave it running and then open your GPS program.

Now, my next problem.......
So far I can't get either AmazeGPS or iGO8 to work. I don't see in either program a place to set the COM port.

EDIT: I found the place in iGO8 to set the COM port and baud rate. I think I have a connection. Need to go outside and check. EDIT 2: IT WORKS!

I don't see where in AmazeGPS to change the COM port though.

I think leaving the HTC GPS Tool running, certainly can't hurt getting other programs to see the GPS. I don't know if it kills the battery though.

Last edited by lexluthor; 12-21-2008 at 02:12 PM.