View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 07:57 PM
[sammich]
Retired Moderator

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Ultimate Bluetooth Spy! - ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelious2 View Post
Honestly I think its as simple as this. kids that age don't need a cellphone. I know hibby doesn't want to hear that, but its more a maturity thing than an actual age(meaning I am not saying you shouldn't have your phone hibby). Honestly, I was that age not to terribly long ago. (I am 23 now) I had a cellphone around that age(13 I believe was when I got my first phone) only because my mother worked for big V and it was a great tool to keep in contact with the family. I was responsible with the phone, never went over my minutes or texts. If you don't feel you can trust them with a phone without you watching over your back then simply take the phones away until you can trust them.

If my mother tried to monitor all my texts and what not then I would have just found a different way to communicate with my friends... like actually seeing them and doing something. At that point kids will swear and do stupid things especially boys beating the crap out of eachother. It's all a learning experience if all they learn is to not do bad things because of fear, then just try to imagine what happens when the fear goes away.

Teach them to act rightly because it is right and not because they will get in trouble.

For me, the phone thing was out of necessity. I am in no way implying that the maturity wasn't there, because it damn well was. I got my phone when I was 11. It was an LG flip phone. My mother had classes always, my dad worked, so I needed to be in constant contact. I never went over my minutes or texting either. We never had any issues.

Another thing that bothers me is kids treating their phones like crap, and then crying to get a new one. I'm 16 now, and I treat my TP like a baby. You have to learn how to NOT abuse your privileges, and take care of what you have.

I have to agree, if you cannot trust the kids with the phone, they shouldn't have it. Taking it away from them until they learn to respect your rules would be a wakeup call.

But then again, who am I to give advice on parenting? There are probably some more detailed reasons as to why this isn't feasible.

Best of luck
This post has been thanked 1 times.