View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 01:41 AM
Baffles
Noob

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
Re: About to give up on the HTC Touch Pro. Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
Thanks. I think one of the things that amazes me most (I called Sprint and I'm taking the phone in - I bought it pre-owned which makes me wonder too) is that it uses 90MB of Ram. That's astounding. Surely there's a way, without going to a custom ROM, to trim that down. Not because Ram usage is all bad, but because it's indicative to me that the phone is working harder than it should.
Ram usage is no big deal. TF3D uses a lot of ram, but that doesn't mean it is working any harder, just means that it is storing more stuff in ram. My phone doesn't lag even close to as badly as you are describing. Did you ever try a hard reset before returning it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
So yesterday I took the device back to Sprint. I wanted them to look it over (since it was pre-owned). Perhaps get me another one to see if it was just the device in general or that particular phone. Especially considering data still wasn't working. They wouldn't do anything....

So I returned the phone and had them switch it back to the Palm Centro, which 20 seconds later had data. Ugh.

So last night I went to TMobile and picked up the G1. Very very slick device. Very fast with a unified interface. Integration with GMail, Google Calendars, Google Contacts. It's pretty amazing to be able to add items to my Google Apps Calendar (corporate style GMail) and have it just show up on the G1. It's a great phone, with its own caveat. The problem is now my index finger hurts and I'm realizing that I might really need Voice Commander or whatever that slick software Microsoft bundles with the HTC Pro is. So I have a question.

If I go back to Sprint would I be better off with a new HTC Touch Pro, even if the cost is higher? They told me the one I bought last time was refurbished. When I told the guy in the store that he gave me kind of a "huh?" look. So I'm starting to think the phone was just returned and they thought it was fine. Maybe the guy returned it because it was slow (my main gripe) or maybe he returned it because the data never worked, as with me. Either way the phone could be bad and they never really offered to help get me into a newer phone. I've been a customer for something like 8 years, so I would assume they'd want to keep me.

Is there a high enough failure rate that perhaps the phone itself was the problem and I could get lucky the next time?
You can sync calendar over the air, gmail, etc. I have my Google Apps calendar synced over nuevasync, as well as my contacts. Push mail via nuevasync should be here within the next few weeks they tell me, until then I just use IMAP.

And, I wasn't aware they even had refurbs yet. A refurb, in theory, should be no different than a new device, though. How much did you pay?

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.