View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Hypocritus
N00b

Hypocritus is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Battery Icon: How to Replace (5 versions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
Got this shamelessly from XDA Forums (that place rocks btw) from Jimm98y:

DOES NOT WORK ON THE TREO 700w/wx!

Basically, this will replace your Battery meter with a different one. I'm using the 6th version (page #2) which is much more informative than the "default" icon, but I'm posting all five here.

It works for me but USE AT OWN RISK (do a backup jik!)

Instructions:
1) install SdkCerts.cab
2) install greenbatteryfix.cab
3) softreset

Version #1

Version #2

Version #3

NEW! Version #4 (best one, imo)
Everyone who really used this bit o' software should donate (that is a link) at least a dollar or two to Jimm98y, the originator of this fix. Do I even know jimmy, or really who he is? No. Why should we donate? He provided a service (to anyone who found this useful) that is worth at least this amount.

IMO, it is a bit unfair to attach an author's work from a different site without distinctly including a way to contribute to that author if the software is of benefit to the evaluator; particularly when, on the other site from whence this came, displayed after every post the author made (which were many), was the author's signature -- which clearly states, "If you like my work, you can thank me here" -- allowing anyone a quick and easy donation through paypal. If 1000 people each donated one dollar, that's a thousand dollars. Does he deserve at least that much? yes! Valuable service. One or two dollars (or more, if you've got it) per person. Pocket change for all of us who own pocket PCs.

Do we as a community usually pay free-software makers for their products? No. Why? Three reasons. (1) We don't think about donating (even 1 or 2 dollars). (2) We don't see an easy way to donate. (3) We are concerned about being charged too much (for those who have fixed fees, like $5 minimum or something). So when the easy opp comes along to contribute -- especially an amount that you are comfortable with -- to those who are not forcing us to pay, let's pay them a bit; and many small contributions means a well deserved return for the author who was not really expecting much, if anything. Nice, unexpected (& well-deserved) ______ (insert favorite occasion here) present? Yes.

Jimm98y is the author of this software, not the originator of this thread, and not me.