View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 10:45 PM
x10guy
VIP Member

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: CNET ratings of the Touch Pro, unfair? Lets show support for our favorite WM devi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JickBahTech View Post
It would be really helpful to filter reviews. I don't care what an AT&T user "thinks" about the phones on Sprint.
I gave up on CNet as a reviewer a while ago. They seem intent on reviewing things from the lowest common denominator "consumer" perspective. ANY device that requires a little thought to set up is instantly knocked for no good reason, other than it didn't wow them with sparkles out of the box.

I agree that some of the user reviews comes down to classic debates like Mac vs PC, but really at the end of the day, a lot of people buy expensive toys and it makes them feel good. There's a natural tendency to defend these things we've spent money on. I'm not trying to defend the dolts that gave half star reviews, because they are REALLY friggen obnoxious and detract/distract from the discussion, but I have been guilty of the same thing from time to time in my life.
That is actually an excellent point. THe more expensive the toy the more likely we are to feel "emotional" towards its purchase. Even though intellectually we know we made the best purchase, emotionally we want to it to be confirmed by others. When someone questions it, we feel bad and have to defend it... even though it needs no defense. And when it comes to the iphone... man do people get emotional.
Human nature - but it happens in different degrees. I guess I'm in the minority in that CNET doesn't bother me.