View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 08:57 PM
GoodThings2Life
Bringer of Good Things

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Old-School Word Correction... Fixes

Make these changes to the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Tegic\eT9]
"XT9SupportMSSip"=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Tegic\eT9\Ime]
"CurrentET9Style"=dword:0

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\e001 0409]
"Layout Text"="COMP IME"
This value should change FROM eT9 IME to COMP IME
"Ime File="\windows\compime.dll"
This value should change FROM eT9ime.dll to compime.dll

Then, soft reset and perform the following changes in Control Panel:

1. Start > Settings > Input.
2. Select Full QWERTY and click Options.
3. Select English, "Turn on one-touch symbol entry" and click T9 Settings.
4. Check ONLY the first and fourth options, uncheck the second and third.
5. Click OK twice to return to the main Input screen.
6. Click the Word Completion tab.
7. The options here SHOULD now work the way they've always worked on the Mogul and Touch, so set them how you want and open Word or a text message and give it a try.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while to make sure there aren't any major problems with this, but just be aware there's a couple limitations with this hack in place:

First, the SYM hard key definitely doesn't work with this hack in use, but you can always use the software keyboard for that as an alternative. (Just click .,123, and use the 1/9 page scroller to get to the ones you want.)

Second, this definitely prevents you from using T9 modes on the software keyboards (basically you can use the Full QWERTY in ABC mode, but you can't use it in T9, and the Compact and Number Pad T9's don't work). Actually, this may or may not be true... it's entirely possible that I only hate the T9 mode because I just don't know how to use it very well.

Regardless, it's a bit of a trade-off and compromise between whether you want it purely old-school QWERTY or whether you want it new-school T9. I only recommend using this if you are like me and hate the T9 input system.

Last edited by GoodThings2Life; 11-18-2008 at 01:05 AM.
This post has been thanked 17 times.