View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 PM
PocketPcUser
Regular 'Geeker

PocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to PocketPcUser Send a message via MSN to PocketPcUser
Re: Touch Pro Reviews

Just to clarify my earlier review above:
The device has (I guess) 60-88MB for VRAM, and ~200MB dedicated for program execution (RAM).
The actual available memory is not 200MB like I mentioned earlier, it is 200MB total, with 135 or so MB free after soft-reset. When TouchFlo3D is de-activated, you can pull around 140+MB free, not to exceed 150MB. (I know that it is somewhere between 140-149MB.)
Also, the keyboard is even somewhat hard to use, after clipping my nails all the way. So, for people with small hands, this may be second nature, but I have larger hands, so it may take some time to get used to the small keys.
On more careful review of the device, I may actually have a hard time coming to a final decision on getting it or not. I think the one thing that turns me off about it, is the overall feel of it in my hands. I am used to the 6700, and they are no-where anything like each other when it comes to feel. I just am torn now, between the Tilt, and the Touch Pro. They both have GPS, and offer the same sizes of storage cards, so it is still a hard decision. (Almost like the elections... But I won't even touch that comparison.)
I think in general, the new features, the possibilities with Custom ROM's, the available storage space, the RAM, and the added features cause me to want the Pro 60%-70%; however, I am still feeling un-certain, and have a pretty strong 30-40% lean towards getting the Tilt.
Anyone think they can help me decide? Even after all of my review, and my experience with devices, I just can't get a more solid opinion about this device. I know for one thing, the TouchFlo3D is coming off hours after I get it, and I am turning off the large start menu, as this causes a lot of lag, and Spb Mobile Shell is far more productive for me. I also know, I wasn't too impressed with the GPS, since GPS on these devices are now going into the 3rd generation, and I just think that they can be a little more accurate. However, this chipset is only 2nd generation, since it is the same as what was used in the Mogul.
The processor really doesn't see that much faster than my 6700, but I am sure Custom ROM's will unlock the full potential.
Overall, this stock ROM, with the large start menu and TFlo3D turned off, it is very fast and stable. Opera works pretty well, but I think I will still use PIE at times. Opera has been improved a lot for this ROM, so I am happy that they didn't rush it out the door, without testing it. Everything is pretty stable.

I will say one thing I highly am upset about, is the removal of Task Manager that WM6.1 introduced, as you can not see running processes anymore, via the settings menus.
by clicking below:

Thanks,
Andrew,