View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 04:53 PM
hec
PPCGeeks Regular

hec is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro Reviews

I just got mine yesterday (switched from a Mogul), and here are my initial observations (in no particular order, just as they occur to me):

_Pros_

* Size: Nice & compact; feels great in-hand.

* Display: Resolution, clarity of text and richness of color in particular.

* TF3D: Takes a bit getting used to (e.g., adjusting to how much pressure to use when wanting to scroll vs selecting an item), but nice cool factor. Finger gestures (e.g., zooming and flicking to scroll) are pretty handy.

* Memory: Nice having gobs of memory, especially for programs.

* Added features/software: Namely Voice Command, which I hadn't used in a while; I like not having to record tags, and not having to shell out the $ for it was nice. Other notables I haven't had much time to play around w/ yet are YouTube, Opera, the Disk Drive feature in USB to PC, and the video out feature for which no cables are included (?!).

* Keyboard: Nice, though I haven't really used it much yet. I'm still primarily a FITALY user (which thankfully still works), but I'll use it from time to time when texting while outdoors.

* Activation: Kudos to Sprint for making the ESN swap a breeze from their web site and having the device auto-activate afterward.

* Speaker: I like having it on top instead of the back; easier to hear while laying flat - i.e., no longer have to lay it upside-down when wanting to hear music while charging.

* USB audio/charging adapter: Nicer than Mogul's plus the added 3.5mm jack is a nice touch.

_Cons_

* Stylus: I like that it's not telescoping but a bit too short; could use at least an extra quarter-inch.

* Buttons (the lack thereof): Probably what I miss the most compared to Mogul, especially since I used AEButton Plus to give its various buttons lots of added functionality that allowed me to quickly do what I want in no time (e.g., toggling vibrate/data/bluetooth, copying/pasting, flashlight, closing apps, etc.). I haven't tried AEButton Plus on the Touch Pro yet, but I'll do so asap and hope to at least regain some one-handed functionality. Oh, and I really miss the Mogul's scroll wheel.

* Another result of lack of buttons...fingerprints all over the screen; amazing how quickly they add up.

* Directional keypad: A bit of a tight squeeze to press the left & right button areas without inadvertently pressing the Talk or End buttons.

*Back button: I wish it acted more consistently; doesn't always act like an OK.

* Opera: My initial findings are that it's pretty slow and doesn't give enough feedback as it's working on rendering a page. Also, I don't like having to zoom in to click links with the stylus. Lastly, I haven't found a way to have it access IE's mobile favorites, so I wouldn't have to create them manually.

* Belt case: A drastic step backward in craftmanship for such a pricey PPC phone; shame on HTC.

* TF3D: Despite its coolness, most everything I need to do takes longer than with iLauncher and PocketBreeze on the Today screen, as I had on Mogul.

* Large menus: It seems all menus are large, which is somewhat OK for most apps but not so good for older ones with many menu items. I haven't found a way yet to disable this feature anywhere other than on the Start Menu.

* Beam?: Why's this feature still in Settings|Connections, when there doesn't appear to be an irda port on the device?

* Chrome finish: I agree this thing'll get scratched in no time; I like the finish on the GSM version better.

* Name: There's plenty of space for "Touch Pro" next to the htc logo on the front, which would help spare me having to answer the "what phone is that?" questions that I'll inevitably get.

All-in-all, I'm glad I made the switch so far; as with any change, I'll need to adapt and will look forward to the hacks & other enhancements that are forthcoming.

Last edited by hec; 11-05-2008 at 04:58 PM.