saqer
Halfway to VIP Status

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Alternative GPS software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Office View Post
Since we're on this topic, I wonder if someone can tell me why folks would use the Sprint software (and it's monthly fee) in the first place, given that there are (apparently?) some freeware programs out there, and a number of programs which I gather require simply a one time purchase.

Is there some advantage to it, or are those here who are using it doing so because it is already included in the price of their plan?

I am out of contract, and trying to see if I can get the service added by retention at a reduced rate; is it worth even trying, or do the other programs trump the monthly Sprint Navigation fee?

Any thoughts are deeply appreciated. Many thanks.
I've used Sprint's navigation service on a my small clamshell sanyo. I was very impressed. Latest maps, live traffic info, a very comprehensive POI database with phone numbers. It also allows you to call in a location with some phone number, it also allows you to preplan trips using their online Sprint Navigation manager. I'm guessing the monthly fees to sustain server costs, let alone the compilation of maps, etc.

The only two freeware "GPS" apps I'm aware of are Google Maps and Live search. These also download map information but don't keep it on device. They're just as functional as Sprint Nav. maybe except for pre-planning part. They're not full blown GPS apps as they don't have the feel of the touch screen functionality of the true GPS maps. True GPS maps also have localized map therefore no dependence on a data plan/internet. I would also say using such 'freeware' GPS or even Sprint Nav. drain the battery seeing that there's a constant data connection so it wouldn't be ideal to run them without a charger. Though, even GPS using agps coordinates draws battery charge too, but I'm guessing not as much as the former. The downside of one time purchase GPS is that you might have to eventually update maps especially if you're a frequent commuter. Also POI are sometimes out of date and uploading new ones to the device require extra steps.
This post has been thanked 1 times.