View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 03:22 PM
freeza
Super Saiyan 3

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza
Re: Alternative GPS software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saqer View Post
LOL. The times that's been done. It's all good though. I've personally tried all and I can honestly say that Garmin is the most down to Earth GPS for North American users. Does pretty much everything you need. Garmin also keeps their maps up to date, have the best POI database I've yet to see and there's the ability to add custom POIs. The only problem is Garmin releases its maps on encrypted media so it might be hard to move the maps onto the storage card of your choice.

iGo/Oncourse is a step up with 3D maps and other cool features like using in conjunction with a TMC receiver for live traffic updates (probably not too popular in the U.S.). The display is all around much fancier and includes more stats related to trip. Also useful is the compass function. iGo is nice if you're a frequent global traveler because they make maps for many European and even middle eastern countries. The tradeoff is it's a memory hog. Don't plan on running this unless you have at least 32 megs of RAM free, possibly even more.

iGuidance in my opinion is a mediocre GPS software. It worked fine with me, but it's lack of customization leaves it bland and much to be desired. A good feature that people enjoy with this one is text to speech engine which reads out street names, etc.

I have only used TomTom 6 (current is TomTom 7), but that was another 'decent' GPS app. It was stable, fast and easy with one handed use similar to all the others. My only concern was that it's POI database was lacking. It did, however, support custom POI's and categories. One cool feature were all the cool sounds you could load it with anything from Homer Simpson to C3PO :P

Thanks for that mini review.