View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 AM
snovvman
Regular 'Geeker

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Diamond Heating Issues Explained?

I took one of my Diamonds apart, several layers down--I don't see how and where an additional shield could be practical. There also would seem to be very little to no room for an additional piece of shield.

1) Based on the design, the lower back IS the heat sink and IS supposed to get hot.

2)There is a heat sink gel sandwiched between the plastic and electonics, my basis for the statement in #1.

3) The battery is already in an aluminium tray with a copper plate under it. I don't see how further insulation can make a difference in keeping the battery cooler

4) There is a ribbon heat conductor that goes from the lower portion to just under the battery (which connects the electronics cover that contacts the heat sink gel to the back side of the battery tray, where the copper plate is). This seems to be a strategy to distribute the heat TO the battery tray.

Other observations:

1) There is a TINY lithium-cell battery on the circuit board

2) The stylus removal detection is handled by a mechanical switch

///

I know this post is worthless without pictures. I will leave it apart, take some pictures this weekend and post.

///

Image test:

[IMG]ftp://ppcgeeks.com/Diamond/Users/snovvman/DSCF2177.JPG[/IMG]

If you want to see more of the linked image, let me know how to properly post it. I took about 15 pictures. It shows shows when I'm editing the post, but doesn't seem to work after I save.

Last edited by snovvman; 10-25-2008 at 10:57 PM.