Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Installing WM6 DLL bricked my Moto Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by budney
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg
My phone is set to automatically lock.

When I did the soft-reset, upon reboot I received the confirmaton screen, however I could not respond to it because my phone is locked.

I do have the normal left softkey [Unlock], and when you press it, it changes shades as it would normally, but it does not bring-up the dialog to enter my unlock code. I have tried blindly entering the unlock code with no success.

The screen continues to go blank after 2 seconds, as it would normally when locked. After sitting for sometime (5 mins?), when you press a key and the screen lights-up, it now displays a white background with the time, "Home Service", "Ringer Off", and "The layout you have selected cannot be l". At the top you have your normal information bar with the signal strength, battery level, and so-on. At this point I still can't unlock the phone, although the [Unlock] left softkey is still there.

I have tried connecting via ActiveSync. I get the 'USB connected' sound effect, but that's it. ActiveSync does not connect and I can't access the phone via Explorer.

I desperately need to recover my data from this phone, so I'm trying to avoid doing a hard-reset. Unfortunately, I was an idiot and did not have a backup.

Can anyone please help?
Sounds like you need to do another soft reset. either by turning off/on your Q using the power key, or by pulling out the battery. My Q acted real funny after the first soft reset too.
I've done a dozen or so soft-resets. I believe the problem is that the device is automatically locked upon boot. I need to unlock it to be able to respond to the confirmation screen, but the screen that prompts you for your password when you hit the [Unlock] softkey must rely on that DLL to display.

I'm hoping for some way to get into the phone to either, allow the DLL to run, disable the device lock, or delete the DLL so the phone can boot properly.

The only two vague thoughts I have are either a bootloader on a mini-SD card or some key sequence when booting.

Hopefully someone out there has the answer...