View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 02:50 PM
cappy
PPCGeeks Regular

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg1.0 View Post
It's good to see progress being made on this issue. However, I think it may be worth mentioning again that the power meter reading is a calculated value, not based on any physical measurement. It is based on the CPU usage, screen brightness, and what hardware the device thinks is on and off.

Using this value and the mAh rating of your battery, you can get an estimate of how long your battery should last under the current conditions. But there are a number of reasons why this estimate could be off:
  • Your hardware is physically defective and draws more power than it is supposed to.
  • Your battery is defective and its real mAh capacity is lower than rated.
  • The power meter calculation ignores something significant.
  • Your system has a software issue where it doesn't properly turn off hardware, but thinks that it is off and reflects this in the power meter reading.
There are most likely multiple reasons why people get poor battery life, some of which may be very complicated and hard to pinpoint. (My issue involving having a password is a good example.) cappy may have also discovered something important.
No argument from me tg1.0. Your are right. What I have found though is that the mA discharges rates, while maybe not accurate in absolute terms, have been precisely consistent on my phone over a week or more. Others have reported the same mA discharge rate under the same conditions. Turn off everything except Phone radio and I get the same reading today as I did two days ago. Turn on BT. Same reading each time. So I am looking for inconsistencies like the one that popped up today. If the inconsistency can be reproduced, there is a better chance that the problem can be isolated and corrected or avoided.