TucanMobile
N00b

TucanMobile is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch HD NOT coming to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidmet View Post
I think of it this way, there are always going to be users who need a keyboard. I think the demand will be there to sell the Pro if, in fact, the HD does come over. The G1 launched first in the US and I think the US management understands the consumer is waiting for the next bigger and better. I have a feeling the US will see something comparable to the HD within the year.
I'm sure HTC isn't particularly worried about Pro sales being cannibalized by the HD, but the Diamond definitely will be unless the price difference is huge. But, being that the Diamond retails for around $600+ ($500 on sprint) you can't make the HD much more without putting it into a category of smartphone that few people would be willing to purchase.

Mostly I blame Sprint for this. The HTC Touch hasn't even been out for a year on Sprint and honestly works fine. However, the Mogul was outdated when it was released and definitely needed an upgrade. Sprint should have made sure to release the Pro ASAP to kill off the aging Mogul. Then they should have skipped the Diamond and released the HD ASAP. Not only could the HD stop customer bleeding it's a lot better iPhone competitor than the Instinct, which was a terrible idea in the first place. Spending $100 million to advertise a phone like the Instinct when you have the Diamond (or the HD if they had of skipped the Diamond and thrown some money HTC's way to have a CDMA version of the HD out by Christmas) which actually competes and beats the iPhone in many respects was a rather unintelligent decision on Sprint's part.