View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 01:38 AM
the7thson
Almost a VIP

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg1.0 View Post
I believe the discharge current is calculated by determining what hardware is on and how much the CPU is being used. It is just too consistent to be a value that is physically measured/sensed.

I have a simple utility (attached) that can display the discharge current when you ask for it, as opposed to continuously. With the radios off and the backlight on the dimmest setting, my battery current is always 57 mA. One increment in brightness adds 9 mA. With the nuePower/Backlight CPL utility, however, the battery current becomes exactly 100 mA higher because of the continuous polling.

If you take your battery's mAh rating (900 for the GSM version, 1340 for the CDMA version) and divide it by the disharge current, you should obtain your runtime in hours. I've tested my battery several times and found that it actually lasts a little longer than it should, even though I'm not particularly happy with my battery life.

I think I may have found another reason for the poor battery life. Please see "Issue #2" in this thread of mine.
I agree with just about everything you're saying, and have my own results to report as well. Let me start off my saying I have 2 identical Sprint Diamonds in front of me. I ran nuepower on both of them as well as your program on both.

Both programs ALWAYS report the exact same numbers on both phones under the same conditions (which radios are on etc) so I think both programs calculate the amount of power being used - the only difference is that one is on demand and one is constantly polling. I ran the same test you did - all radios off and lowest brightness. Both phones reported 57mA with your program. Then I ran nuetools and both phones started off reporting 57mA and then in a second jumped to 157 due to polling like you mentioned.

With all radios off and the power setting set to auto adjust (which is 3 notches over lowest in my current lighting), both phones read 75mA, which is 57 + (9*3) or 57 + 18, again consistent with what you found.

With all radios off and ONLY bluetooth on (just on, not paired to anything), both phones report 61mA with your program. Again, with nuepower, both phones jump up by 100 to 161mA.

CONCLUSIONS:

1. Both programs - systeminfo and nuepower work the same way. They most likely calculate power consumption instead of actually measure it in real time. The only difference is that one is on demand and the other one is constantly polling and polling seems to consume 100mA extra.

2. Battery life sucks, the best we can do for now is put in some so-called battery tweaks etc to manage power better. With JUST THE PHONE RADIO on and all other radios off, if you use NO DATA, NO WIFI, NO GPS, NO BT and MAKE NO CALLS, the standy time is only 1340/75 = 17.8 hours. This is just simply phone standy time, with absolutely zero phone calls, data, bluetooth etc. Of course, this is with the screen on and standy time would be significantly higher with the screen off (will do some testing on this and report back). This is still pretty poor imo. Seems like I need at least a 3000mA battery for this phone to be practical

3. More than likely all phones work the same or are at least not wildly different in power consumption (at least stock). I think everyone in this thread should run all the same tests I did and report back what find so we can all compare. This could all be meaningless though if both the programs we're using to measure/calculate power are essentially useless.

Whew!