View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM
cappy
PPCGeeks Regular

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjen View Post
Today I decided to get a baseline for minimal use of the phone.

Using Juicy's 2.2 for Sprint, I unplugged my phone from the Diamond Wall Plug at 7:20am this morning. Used phone, text, email only when needed. Didn't use anything else. No Bluetooth.

At 5:20pm my battery is at 15%. 10 Hours of minimal use, uses 85% of the battery.

Tomorrow I plan to use BT for the morning during drive times and maintain the minimal use. Probably 3 or 4 hours worth of BT being ON, probably only 10min of talk time.

We'll see.
I started at 100% at 6:40 am. Its now 6:47 pm and battery remains at 71%. No Bluetooth, 6 phone calls about an hour in total duration, a couple of checks to weather, and not much else. I did have the GPS locator on, though I did not use GPS today. And I turned off the Airave first thing this morning to see what effect signal strength would have on discharge.

The more that I read of other users experiences, the more it becomes clear that many variables are in play. I see 10% per hour discharge with Bluetooth on. A user on SU said that he saw no noticeable difference when he turned off Bluetooth.

My phone does not get hot, while many others appear to have a significant overheating problem. I turned off my Airave this morning, expecting that it was the reason why the device does not get hot and I also expected that a weaker signal (3 bars) would increase the discharge. There has been no noticeable increase in discharge caused by a weaker signal. And during the calls, the device did not get hot at all. If fact, I just picked it up and it is stone cold. Go figure.

I am ready to conclude that build quality varies from phone to phone. According to the NuePower software, my device draws between 75Ma to 85Ma when idle, whether connected to the Airave or not. As soon as Bluetooth is turned on, the draw goes up to between 160Ma and 211Ma at idle. I have seen others report much higher rates of discharge. It could be differences in the software that is running on different devices, but I am leaning towards hardware build differences or perhaps differences in battery quality or the quality of the battery connection.

I suppose that the only way to isolate the differences among devices is to have many identical devices side by side - same software, same signal, etc. Only Sprint or HTC can do that.

If I were seeing the poor battery life that you describe, I think I would make a single call and see how long it lasts before the battery goes dead. If it cannot go 4.5 hours as HTC and Sprint claim, I would take it back again and again until I get one that does. I have not had to try that, but based upon my battery experiences thus far, I think I would get 4.5 hours.