View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 AM
cappy
PPCGeeks Regular

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjen View Post
I hate to keep nagging about the battery.. but it helps me come to terms with the reality of it ... I would guess it's something that "might" get fixed down the road from Sprint, whether it's a real problem or by design remains to be seen I guess.
My experience with the Diamond battery tells me that the "reality" is 4.5 hours talk/data time with a strong signal - using Airave. That compares favorably with other phones that I have had. I would like it to be better, but I think that present technology limits it. I am not aware of any phones that get, say 8 hours of talk/data time.

Bluetooth is a problem. I see a battery discharge of 10% per hour now, if it is left on. I wish that HTC could get that down to 1%-2%. But even if it is possible to get it to 2% per hour, this will knock 32% off the battery in a 16 hour period. So if you start the day with Bluetooth on and leave it on, you are starting with a battery that has only 68% charge left for talk/data during the rest of the day. Using 2 hours of talk/data time, with a 2% draw per hour from Bluetooth, I would not make it through a 16 hour day (40% discharge from phone/data, 32% discharge from Bluetooth, and 32% from other non-intensive phone functions). These numbers tell me that even with greatly improved Bluetooth, my battery would be down to 0% in 15 hours. That is about the best that I can ever expect with Bluetooth always On. I wish that it were better, but it is what it is.

I will be turning off the Airave today to see how much additional drain is caused by a weaker phone signal. My Diamond does NOT get hot (not even noticeably warm), even during 15-20 minute phone calls. I think that the strong Airave signal keeps the phone from getting hot. I will test it today a report back.
This post has been thanked 1 times.