View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
monkeyboy
PPCGeeks Regular

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: What is everyone using for notes?

Moving from PalmOS, this is the one area that I have yet to find anything close in the WM world to the old but very functional PalmOS Memo+Find combo. It is remarkable that this 12+ year old functionality that was in PalmOS from the very beginning STILL doesn't have a comparable counterpart in the WM world. Here is what I can't yet do in WM that I really, really want ...
1) simple Notes/Memo app to be able to write simple text memos that sync with ASCII/text on a PC, building up DOZENS of such memos, some can be quite long.
2) hit a FIND/SEARCH function on PPC and search through those memos RAPIDLY (and it would be nice if FIND/SEARCH also searched through other DBs on PPC, like Word docs, Emails, Contacts, etc (this is what Palm FIND does).
3) FIND/SEARCH produces a single line per hit report of all the hits for the search.
4) tapping on a hit puts you right into that memo/document, in the right app, AT THE RIGHT LOCATION of the hit, so you are ready to view or edit.

Simple, right ? PalmOS did it 12+ YEARS ago. But I know of no way of doing this in WM, even using 3rd party apps. Here is what's wrong:

1) WM SEARCH is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW, probably 100-1000X slower than Palm FIND.
2) WM SEARCH does not search through Word docs or emails.
3) When WM SEARCH gets a hit, and you select it, it DOES NOT put you into the note at the right place, the place of the hit, but only at the beginning.
4) WM NOTES has no search/find function! so you couldn't find a string in it even if you wanted to (after WM SEARCH).

Right now I've resorted to using an old, unsupported 3rd WM app called Tombo... its the best thing that comes close to doing the above. At least it has a search function that allows you to search across all of its memos and puts you into the point of the search hit.

Suggestions welcome... I think the WM/Std world does have a 3rd app called SmartphoneNotes that comes close, but it doesn't work on PPC.