oodayvidoo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon GPS problem please help.

i have the same setup that you do:

Verizon XV6800
Garmin Mobile XT 42050
GoogleMaps

and my GPS works awesome! instant locks within 10 seconds...

quick question for ya tho... what order did you flash in? did you flash the RADIO via SD card way or did you just use the RUU (Rom Update Utility) with the Telus or Sprint Official ROM?

cuz what i did that works is: (in this order)
1.) goto tri-color screen and attach usb to device
2.) flash the latest RUU Official Sprint ROM (or you can use the Telus version to get the 3.42.50 version) and DO NOT let the customizations run... meaning when it asks you to tap on the screen to setup the device, SOFT RESET to go back to the tri-color screen (bootloader)
3.) then flash the dcd 3.2.6 rom and let it load all the way through (do not install the garmin mobile xt yet, cuz i know it'll ask you to install it since there's an AUTORUN from the SD Card)
4.) install the Verizon carrier cab
5.) perform GC's aGPS Fix on the link you provided above (make sure you only do #'s 1-19 ONLY! the bottom half is for those with the official Verizon upgrade)
6.) now to install Garmin XT, remove the sd card for 10 seconds then re-insert it back in. Then it should perform the AutoRun and ask you if you want to install Garmin.

that is the order I did to make sure gps worked and trust me... I've been trying to find ways to make sure that my GPS works ALL the time, even when my phone hasn't been used for a while and I check back to see if Garmin picks up a signal, after all those steps that I mentioned in this reply it works 100% of the time and gets locks within 10 seconds...

hope that helps... OH! another thing...*this is while you're using Garmin XT or any GPS software, and GPS is currently active with locks on satellites* if you have the program BatteryStatus and the option in BatteryStatus where it automatically locks your device when it powers down (due to powersaving/backlight settings), when you turn it back on, then unlock it, I found that it turns GPS off and cannot be turned back on until you perform a soft-reset. Once the device boots up again, your GPS is back to normal and gets locks within 10 seconds!

man... i haven't typed such a long reply in a while but for all you guys out there struggling to have a 100% working GPS on VZN, this is what I did to make sure its up to par with the other GPS phones working at 100%.

if you have questions or other problems let me know, cuz i'm pretty sure i ran into them too... especially with verizon's xv6800 gps capabilities

Last edited by oodayvidoo; 09-29-2008 at 06:09 AM. Reason: added content...