View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM
squarerootz
PPCGeeks Regular

squarerootz is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to squarerootz
Question Which one makes more sense to do?

Is it easier to create an "UberCab" of must have programs or just to cook a ROM?

I ask this because I have been a member here for around a year since owning a Titan and I have benifited from all that has been posted as I read and search before I post anything, (which is why my post count is very low) but I make sure to click the green button as often as possible.

That being said, I have been reading alot about cab extraction and progs to build/rebuild cabs after making adjustments but I haven't seen a post regarding extracting the files from several different cabs and putting them into one cab that will install all seperate progs to their respective registries or locations on the device or SD card.

Let me clarify, I am in no way am thinking of writing a prog or exe of my own. Trust me I am nowhere near that stage or learning curve (yet). I am only really interested in creating an all-in-one cab to make it easier to install my must haves back to my device after a hard reset.

Which is what I mean by an "UberCab". I want to create it, place it on SD card so that if and when the need arises to hard reset the device, I go throught those motions then install the cab, it installs all the must haves I like (HHC, HTC Home, Google Maps, Last FM etc., etc.) all in one swoop, they all work properly and if I check the device registry tree or the Program menu everything is as it should be and right as rain.

Right now, the most I have been able to do is use PPC Cab Creator to take all those cabs and build one big cab file that when installed only really just extracts the seperate cabs back out to the Program Folder in a folder labeled whatever I happened to name the cab. It also shows the cabs (cab icons only) in Program Menu as if they were installed programs. (Does that make sense? I'm at work so I can't really do a Screenshot.) I still have to go and install each one seperately which is quite time consuming.

Long story short, is this even possible? If it is possible what do I do, what progs do I need, what thread do I need to view and is creating this "UberCab" easier than actually cooking a ROM? If it is not possible than, I guess my next step is to read all I can about ROM cooking as I have taken the time to download the files for doing so but I am a little lost when it comes to the tutorial part.

If a thread on this exists already, please point me in the right direction and I will work on my mastery of the search options. Thanks in advance for any help for I am on a knowledge quest and not looking for smarta$$ed replies or flame wars .

Last edited by squarerootz; 09-18-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Cause I have OCD (or is it CDO if you type it alphabetically) and I had a couple of incorrectly spelled words in this post.