Old 09-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Billbeme
N00b
Threadstarter

Billbeme is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Mobile and You!

I hope this doesn't get the discussion off track too much but I wanted to comment on how hardware manufacturers are influencing user experience with Windows Mobile.

It is much easier to better the user experience on a personal level through 3rd Party User Interface enhancements such as SPB Pocket Plus/Mobile Shell and other such programs. Third party Today-Screen applications like these make a user experience that is otherwise cumbersome due to specific hardware setups (i.e. sideways slider keyboard devices) and make a WM device much more user friendly.

However, it seems as though there are a few manufacturers who are acknowledging that WM (Pro specifically) is less than user friendly and taking it upon themselves to make their devices appeal not only because of what is "under the hood" but also "how the car drives."

As if it needs to be said, HTC is making great strides in bettering the user experience through their TouchFlo Today-Screen interface as well as their new, and attractive, TouchFlo3D interface. When software like this is married with excellent/cutting edge hardware the Windows Mobile user experience is altered drastically.

Another example of this, which is to a lesser degree and also a matter of debate, is the ::quote:: "Palm-Innovations" added to Palm's Treos running Windows Mobile. I have owned a Mogul, a Q9c, and a 700wx and there has been a very different user experience from each one. To continue my point, Palm took it upon themselves to integrate the phone directly into the Today Screen which has made all the difference. No longer is the Phone as much an application as the calculator. You don't have to single it out (as an application) and go from there. Instead the phone is within the screen used most frequently. When a device should be a phone first and a PDA second (even when it is a WM Pro device) this makes all the difference. I shouldn't have to search for my phone to make a call.

While there will always be additions and developments made by the user to their ultimate experience, I enjoy seeing hardware manufacturers take it upon themselves to ensure that their customers are enjoying a great user experience even when the operating system didn't leave Microsoft as a great U.E.

People discredit WM due to its interface. They need to remember what lies beneath is a capable and excellent mobile operating system. With a little work to the User Interface, great things can become of this Mobile OS. That is exactly what companies like Palm and more so HTC are doing. I am happy to see it. Thanks for putting a fresh coat of paint on a reliable old car.

-Bill