View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 03:03 AM
sledgie
PPCGeeks Regular

sledgie is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
right! I had originally thought there was no API library to write software for it, but Mr. Price over at phonenews.com elaborated more about the gps units inside cdma pdas.

"Windows Mobile and Palm OS devices have no platform to enable Verizon/Sprint/Alltel/Telus from making money off of GPS, so they don't provide the software necessary to enable it. They either have to let everyone use it, or nobody use it for navigation. Again, it's an all software limitation."

and from what that's insinuating, that doesn't say to me that Sprint is the bad guy in all of this and asks directly HTC or UTStarcom to "disable" the chip, as I've seen so many rumors floating around. an analogy would be the 6600 evdo debacle. hardware for evdo on sprint 6600 was present, but no way to control everyone to upgrade to power vision (higher $$ fee) because if you let some of them use evdo, all of them would have that option (and wouldn't have to pay).

anyway long story short, it has gpsOne but can't be used in navigational applications.

moving on!
how is voice priority? anyone test this yet? use evdo and start streaming a radio station or tv broadcast and see if it interrupts or goes to voicemail when calling.

then I want to know if while on a call you can browse the web... if one looks at the feature set of the msm 7500 chip it does say simulations cdma 1x and evdo / evdo rev a. and even though some say its a feature set of ev-dv, I've heard and read conflicting reports about if voice and data capabilities simulataneous are possible. nothing to lose by testing!