View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM
gguruusa
Deep Thinker

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: memory just doesn't add up

Quote:
Originally Posted by denasqu View Post
Okay then... I've been cooking my own ROM's and I thought I understood the memory availability and usage of the Verizon XV6900, but now I'm not so sure.

I've read that there is 128 MB of RAM and 256 MB of flash ROM on the XV6900 which equals 384MB in Total.

Settings/Memory says there is 138.02MB Storage memory availabe + 100.87MB Program memory available which equals 238.89MB total memory available. I always thought these numbers were all RAM, but obviously they can't be because I've only got 128MB or RAM to begin with. So what memory is this?
ROM + storage + some other stuff = flash = 256MB
program memory = RAM = 128MB

Quote:
Next, I'm assuming that when I install a program via OEM that it gets installed to ROM and when I install it via CAB/EXE that it gets installed to RAM.
No. None of it gets installed to ram. You install to flash (storage). When you run applications, that's when they consume RAM.
Quote:
If so, can my NBH file be up to 256MB?
technically, almost but not quite. Check out Nex's 180MB monster ROM - that's about as big as is feasible.
Quote:
Will all my RAM be free for running programs and storage then? I doubt this is the case but I'm not sure why it isn't. If it's not, then how big can an NBH file be?

Lastly, is there a way to see memory usage/availbility of ROM only? ...of RAM only?
To see availability, which is kinda the only thing you need to know, just use the memory applet in settings/system. To determine usage, you need to know the size of partitions and subtract what is free.