View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 AM
gbm85
Regular 'Geeker

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android working on Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
Its called the T-Mobile forum on Howardforums. People have tests on T-Mo in their signatures and there are threads about speeds as well.

I've never actually used UMTS but from what I've read, 384kbit/sec is supposed to be its max download... the 1000+kbit/sec tests I've seen seem to point to HSDPA?

If that is indeed UMTS then my understanding of the tech was wrong.

Either way, I've yet to see at&t pass the 3 megabit mark so I highly doubt T-Mo will be able to beat them to the punch...
That's a fair assessment, but as I said T-Mobile just released their first HSDPA-capable phone last week, so the speeds you're seeing may or may not refelect its speed. Also, phones can be limited in their speed to lengthen battery life. The speeds you've seen could be from a phone that's limited to 1.8Mbps. T-Mobile's network is capable of 7.2Mbps, and their 3G network has the highest spectrum range of any US carrier, meaning that their cells can support more simultaneous connections. The good thing about being late to the party is that you can be the best-prepared.