View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 09:43 PM
rstoyguy
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Custom OEM Requests ...Get them here! Updated: 8/28/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvoice View Post
Ok, well I have done some digging on the fexplore thing. While I am sure the way it is now, works, I dont believe it is 100%. If you open the package in WinRAR, and VIEW fexplore.exe, youll get a lot of gibberish, but some stuff will make sense. I notice that the exe references
F E X P L O R E \ W i n d o w s \ f e x p l o r e . e x e . t m p. I have no idea what references what, but it is definitely looking for a file. What I mean is I dont know if 2.03 is looking for the standard fexplore renamed ending in tmp, or if the exe is calling the windows fexplore with relation to 2.03 ending in tmp. Anyway, thats my finding. I dont want to piss anyone off or anything, but that is the most complete answer I can give...so if it pisses you off, skip this post.
I am neither outraged nor pissed off! And therefore, I guess I'll choose not to skip this post!

Actually it works by overwriting the fexplore.exe that ships with windows that calls a .dll file with all the extra features. The tmp file referenced is probably a place to write the txt file containing the file list for easier scrolling. That's sorta what I did back when I wrote code back in the day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvoice View Post
As a side note, how does dropping the final e of the executable make it necessary? if it is just named .ex then windows will never run it and therefore is not essential to the OEM. I was talking about renaming it to fexplor.exe so that the file can still be executed. Just my thoughts.
(Speculation mode On) This is so the .cab install can install it to \windows, allowing the setupdll.dll do the dirty work and overwrite the original. If it were an .exe, the author may not know-how-to/or-want-to put in the code to overwrite the read only file fexplore.exe already in \windows. (speculating off) This allows the program to sneak into the "hook" that windows calls simply because it assimilates the same file name, "fexplore.exe". And the way I oem'd it simply does the same, overwrites the existing file with the "e" added. Get all that evil?

Did you see that I fixed it and flashed it last night to test? I even set a few customizations for you all...

This post has been thanked 1 times.