rokky
Lurker

rokky is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Apache WM6 Clean, No Junk Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
...and if you'd read the tips file that should have shown during install and is available from the Help menu, you'd have known REV=Bootloader version.

I'll fix the tooltip - never noticed that error. Thanks.
Ah, NOW I see that "Tips" section of the help - I figured the rather narrowly focused separate doc for RUU was the extent of the documentation, so did not think to look elsewhere. I suppose you are referring to item #3 in the Known Issues:

"3. As stated above, if have an Apache 2.04/2.05 bootloader (put the phone in bootloader mode and the version number appears at the bottom of the screen) then you may experience problems attempting to put anything except very lightweight ROMs on your phone using this kitchen. There are instructions in the Apache forum at PPCGeeks.com (and help in the chatroom if you need it) to get your phone back to 2.02 bootloader. If you are running a 1.0x bootloader then you should be able to use this kitchen fine."

I doubt I would have connected that with "Rev/OS type" (correcting that should be quite helpful - thanks), and so would not have even known to ask about it. I just got lucky with the mental light flashing on when seeing "v1.04" like what is on my BL screen (for a while there, I thought my 6700 would not get back into BootLoader mode - takes a lot of "finesse" with 2 buttons, and the stylus to make it happen, but I think I have that down pat now .

Sorry, but this stuff is so new to me, and there is SO much piecemeal and jargon-filled info coming at me, that I just cannot always absorb or recognize what is pertinent. I just hope that by "pointing out the obvious" (obvious to you old pro's that it might help some other dazed newbies like me.

Maybe I could contribute the basis of a "Glossary for Newbies" to pull together some of this info I have been having so much "fun" assembling into a frame of reference that I need in order to make sense of technology like this (been doing that for 35 years as a programmer/admin - just the way I operate).

I had no concept beforehand of the significance of the bootloader version for the BuildOS process (which, BTW, is a very impressive piece of compiler design/execution). It worked just fine with my 2.02 "trial" unit with no change in that respect, so I did not notice anything about it that would pertain to my 1.04 unit.

pax,
Rokky