View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 PM
ckl_88
PPCGeeks Regular

ckl_88 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Best turn by turn software? IGO8 Tom Tom? Other?

I currently use IGO8 mainly because it's map movement is almost continuous as opposed to Garmin which moves the map every second or so.

One thing that annoys me about IGO8 and Garmin is that they don't have a feature to turn off U-turns unless absolutely necessary. For example, IGO8 happily instructed me to do a u-turn at a very dangerous intersection not to mention that u-turns there were illegal. IGO8 will also repeatedly tell you to do a u-turn and go back at every intersection even though you know the destination can be reached by going forward.

Other things that you should be aware of is that IGO8 is chatty whereas Garmin not so much. So if you don't like your nav software constantly beeping and giving you instructions, then go with Garmin.

As for routing calculations and efficiency I think Garmin is better. I have IGO8 installed on my own Touch as well as my wife's Touch. We decided to turn on nav at the same time in the same car just for some amusement. We put in the same destination and upon approaching an intersection, my touch told me to turn left and her touch told her to turn right... although both directions can lead to the same destination. So I thought her routing method was different but upon checking it, it was the same as mine so I was confused and amused at the same time.

In Canada, the IGO8 maps are a little out-dated whereas Garmin maps are more up-to-date.

The reason I chose IGO8 is the ability to read out street names and the smooth and continuous map movement while navigating.

BTW, stay away from Route66... it sucks.