View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 04:34 PM
jstich
Lurker

jstich is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Improving GPS Accuracy

Anyone have suggestions for improving the accuracy of the GPS on the Touch?

I'm running the newly released ROM for the HTC Vogue which I updated using the RUU EXE. I have GPSMode = 2 in the registry. I know different settings should improve/diminish accuracy, but what I'm seeing with all the settings is pretty unacceptable.

In most areas, both urban and residential, the "current location" seems to jump all over the map, within about 1-2 blocks of my actual stationary location. The number of satellites I track while stationary can range anywhere from 3-9 and changes every second.

I have a pretty clear view of the sky in most places that I try this, and the results seem to be consistent. I haven't exactly checked to see if some areas are consistently better than others, however I would say they are mostly similar (in a park with trees in close proximity and larger buildings a few blocks surrounding).

I am using NomiGPSPlot freeware to do tracks, but I see the same issues with Google Maps. I am able to export the track to Google Maps, and I have included the KML file to show how the tracking "jumps". I did this route on bike.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ExampleKMLFile.zip (264.4 KB, 5 views) Click for barcode!