View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
JBabey
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

JBabey is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to JBabey Send a message via AIM to JBabey Send a message via MSN to JBabey Send a message via Yahoo to JBabey Send a message via Skype™ to JBabey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_2231
Maxx134's results:
  • XCPU: +16% gain
    PHM: +38% gain
    XCPU&LUM: +25% gain
    PHM&LUM: +48% gain
Is a 50% overclock vs. 16% overclock worth switching to PHM? I vote yes. My reasons: this is already a gaming machine, and gamers always like performance, even though I'm not a big gamer myself. So I respectfully disagree with you and vote that overclocking SHOULD be in the rom. Second, if BigJ just uses your posted settings and does it all automatically, there is no need for the average user to ever need to worry about the insane complexities of PHM. He is already adding in a cache settings util which I am opposed to sort of since now I have to learn what is the best cache size instead of him using one that works for most. (I don't trust the reports that 9.4 is less stable even though I am a source of them, since I also have a new ext. rom now.) In other words, if BigJ can (just by using your settings) make it start on startup and hide itself and not make the newbees go haywire then it is worth it, since it is just a big boost in speed. If web browsing goes 50% faster due to something that I don't have to learn myself, then it is worth it. If I need to read 100 pages to get it to work and stand on my head and play around with 100 settings then it is not worth it and I'd prefer to stick with xcpu. Ideally, there would be a gamers mode in which the phone is maxed out (and screen saver is turned off so that I can use iguidance in car) and a lamer's mode in which the phone is trying to do its best to save battery power.

Jack
i would never argue that xcpu is better than phm, but the simplicity of xcpu is where we are currently. I would love to have an uber stable overclock running all of the time, my experience with overclocking however.... gives me a really poor outlook on how viable it is as a daily solution.

using both programs there is a massive hit to battery life... using xcpu however, i noticed less random lockups.

phm also messes with the LCD pretty hardcore, the midrange ram settings make the picture get all screwy. It also "forgets" your settings half the time after a soft reset, and you need to go back in and set them all back up. Ive also noticed that different hardware revisions handle the overclocking differently, so putting in generic settings that boot on start would wreak havoc on some devices and work GLORIOUSLY on others.

I have also played with the cpu scaling on both applications extensively and found that, pretty much everytime it changes speed, there is a slight "hang" on the phone. Its not a really big deal, but it happens SOOOOOO often i just gave up on scaling all togethor. The other nice thing, is that with xcpuscalar its a lot harder to lock the phone into an unrecoverable state.

your right though, with PHM i can achieve SICK results and good stability, but for the masses, and for most people in general the cost/benefit relationship just isnt there.

if something revolutionary comes out in the oc department ill revisit the topic but until then i feel that xcpu is a much more stable solution that is more readily accessable to everyone.