View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 AM
tichi
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

tichi is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS - how to remove satellites from phone's memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckl_88 View Post
Just so you know, my internet is always on because I'm connected via Windows Live push email.

Oh, the other thing is with the old radio (the one I'm using now) it puts me close to my workplace whereas the new radio would put me who knows where.

Okay, so soft reset - done.
Internet On - Yep.
Reset Google Maps - done. Quits the program automatically.
Restart Google Maps. Accept agreement - map of San Fran is displayed.
Clicked Use GPS. Blue status of Seeking GPS Sats (0) is displayed.
wait... here it comes... YES!

puts me about 1km away from where I am (at work). NOT in the middle of the ocean.

So there is a difference between the old and new radio. With the old, it's close to your actual position. With the new, it puts you in the ocean.

But even so, it still takes > 1 minute to get a lock because we don't have any kind of assistance server from Bell to get the ephemeris data to speed up lock times.

EDIT> Strange. While I got the blue dot that's close to my work place, I walked over to the other side of my office, and the blue dot moved to a different location. Now it's about 4km from my actual position.... a different cell tower perhaps.
Thanks a lot!

I just tried to experiment too with the google maps ,
in the same way again (GPS screened, internet /wireless available) and ...
o, surprise, now it locates me too - not precisely, GPS satellites (0), but roughly, to the nearest cell tower (top of a high-rise bulding about 3 km away from my home).

and I.m using the NEW 2.32.40 radio !!

This time I did reset google maps to show me San Francisko first, but
I did NOT soft-reset the phone (an it had many fast locks today )
however, after I do soft-reset the phone, it puts me again in the Guinea Bay

So I guess it is:

- AGPS ("Location service") at work???

(maybe not in the part of that Belgian server, though..
but it has to use SOME AGPS server..
this means that Bell does HAVE one.. hmmm..
how to find out the IP.. the trouble is that
the phone probably does not communicate with it directly, otherwise one could try to use netstat to figure out which one .. or it does?)

- AGPS needs a good guess of the last-known position (which is (0.0,0.0) after a soft-reset - at least in the NEW radio - that is why Guinea Bay shows)

Last edited by tichi; 07-24-2008 at 01:14 AM.