View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 PM
ckl_88
PPCGeeks Regular

ckl_88 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS - how to remove satellites from phone's memory?

I guess you are lucky in that mine is stuck most of the time! HA HA.

My AGPS settings are basically the same except my GPSMode is at 4.

Anyway, here are my random observations (please bear with me).

1. If I get a fix of about 4 sats, if I turn the GPS unit off (ie. quit all gps apps and put the phone to sleep), after about an hour or two, the time to fix is the same as my cold fix times (1-1.5 minutes).

2. I've been using the latest sprint radio (3.42.xx) for a few weeks now. Ever since then, when I go into Google Maps and select Use GPS, the blue dot puts me in the middle of nowhere. When I say nowhere, I mean a map doesn't even display. all I get is a blue dot on a background of row upon row of magnifying glasses with a minus sign in them. No amount of zooming in or out helps. Then yesterday, I downgraded to the Alltel radio (3.37.10) and tried google maps again. Upon selecting the Use GPS, 10 seconds later, it put me about 4 km from my actual position. Just tried it now and it put me about 1 km from actual position here at work. So my phone, with this radio, is finding my general location. That said, time to fix is still about 1-1.5 minutes.

3. In QPST, I've tried adding the PDE server that was recently discovered from the Telus ROM. On average, my cold fix times haven't changed much. I don't know if Bell users are authorized to use that PDE server or not, but it's not making any difference for me.

Personally, I think the GPS units on Bell phones are falling back to Autonomous mode because the AGPS and PDE servers (from other providers) are not providing the correct information (if at all).

I think that if we can figure out the Bell PDE and AGPS servers then we can expect some pretty quick cold fix times.

BTW, when I did some searching for bell PDE servers, I came across a blackberry forum with Bell users with blackberrys with the same exact problem.... long cold fix times.

Last edited by ckl_88; 07-22-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Additional info.