View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 AM
ScrapMaker
VIP Member
Threadstarter

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Will we ever have true A-GPS?

I have tried every ROM under the sun... the only two that give me consistent GPS are DHarvey's latest black vista ROM, and one of OMJ's older ones, I was using it on the 3.37.15 radio, I believe... I actually think OMJ's was the fastest I had ever used, but, alas, I still lost GPS after about a day.

I tried the latest *.4.2 Sprint ROM that was leaked on Friday, and GPS was "pretty good," for the first day---and then a day later, I was getting 45 second locks, or not at all...

I tried the following to get GPS to work again:
-Soft-resetting
-Disable/Enable location in phone options
-Re-run IOTA (which is VERY flaky in this latest release---I couldn't get it to work, it kept failing and giving me vision errors, unlike in the original leaked *.4)
-Installed "Assisted GPS Hack.cab" which enters all the A-GPS settings, including A-GPS server IP, etc.
-Copied over virser_gps.dll .. (does this even do anything?)
-I tried priming it with GPS Viewer, etc, and I got nothing...

The only thing I could do was hard-reset, and I got GPS back immediately---although it wasn't THAT amazing... first lock was about 45 seconds, and recurring locks that were only a minute apart still took about 15-20 seconds...

So far, it seems like DHarvey's 7.29 black vista ROM gives the best GPS results. It truly is using A-GPS, I believe (or at least there is some correlation to internet connection.) When I disable internet, warm locks take about 15 seconds, and with data on, I get 5-10 second locks.

Funny thing is--I got better GPS performance when I had the latest Sprint ROM, and I was in airplane mode!

I wish the ROM had more control over GPS... like in the Comm Manager...

Anyways, to get the latest Sprint ROM to play well with GPS, what did you guys do? I flashed the ROM, immediately hard-reset, then let customizations run, hard-reset, let customizations run, hard-reset again, then let everything run it's course once again...

I like the fact I can run JiveTalk on the stock ROM, but I really like GPS working well on DHarvey's... although, if GPS flakes out again, even on this ROM, I'll probably go back to *.4.2 (or a ROM based on it,) and pretend like my phone doesn't have GPS... I'll just wait for a phone that's got solid GPS... like hopefully the diamond or touch pro will...