View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 05:50 PM
sd_matto
PPCGeeks Regular

sd_matto is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Additional Thoughts

Thanks for a great ROM. I go back and forth between yours and Sardinours.

I wanted to address a couple of points.

Re: UPX (your stated goal), make sure that you get the latest beta version of UPX (2.92, I believe). Also, make sure that you use LZMA compression algorithm; files become even smaller. I have been able to UPX a TON of files (mostly .exe's, though some notable .dlls (voice command, flash)) to save a lot of space (over 3.4 MBs) in the ROM. And, I am still experimenting.

Re: increasing physical memory, I had an in-person conversation with a tech over at PPCTechs.com a couple of months ago. He told me that the only reason the physical memory could not be upgraded was because of something in the ROM that limited access. He also stated that that would not necessarily be present if Linux were installed. To the extent that our ROM gurus could find some way to access where in the ROM this physical addressing issue is located, and change the appropriate field with HexEdit, this phone would then just plain ROCK. Maybe it's pie in the sky, but I thought I would put it out there for the "brighter than me" software crowd.

Thanks again for the ROM