qbunnie
PPCGeeks Regular

qbunnie is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: PDANet v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
It makes it appear that your using the browser on your phone. But sprint is a little wiser now. I've seen in the new vogue rom, they set it as "Phone as Modem" and change it back with every soft reset. Unless you delete that of course...
Huh...
Well, the 3.56 Mogul ROM doesn't even have a PAM mode (mine doesn't)... And I think you can use either, since the NAI isn't tied down to the network you connect to. Well, I'm not 100% sure on that, but for about 4 months my phone defaulted to PAM (for regular data usage) for unknown reasons on the original stock ROM. I then flashed to a custom ROM. Never heard anything about it.
Also, I remember reading somewhere that the program selects (before any hacks) what username and password you use to log in to Sprint's network. Thus when using ICS, your phone automatically tries to login with the NAI credentials for a Sprint Phone as Modem plan. If you don't have PAM plan, you get rejected (Error 67?). This happens regardless if you use Sprint PCS or Phone as Modem as the connection method. Whereas pocketie uses your normal powervision username and password, which is what PDANet copies (I think). That is why you could get around the ICS login by simply opening up pocketie first, logging in using power vision credentials, and THEN using ICS.
So you can use either connection method so long as you are logging in with the correct credentials, Sprint sees it as normal data usage. Unless of course you go crazy. if you do, tell em you have a slingbox. Legit usage, lots of traffic.

On a completely separate and wholly on topic note, I did get this version of PDANet (bought, i'm in my legit phase right now, lol). It seems pretty stable to me, no problems using a USB cable. Haven't tested it out completely yet, but no complaints so far.

Last edited by qbunnie; 07-09-2008 at 01:19 AM.