View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
gambatte
Regular 'Geeker

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Apache WM6 CE OS 5.2.1620 (Build 18125.0.4.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSavage View Post
I'm going to continue reading, but if someone could pipe up with the following that'd be swell

- what program do I need to load WM6 onto the device?
- what exactly is it that I am doing to the phone with said software?
- what file(s) do I load onto the phone using above software?
- as a complete beginner, what are the odds of me bricking the thing because I don't know all the tricks?

I wish it were as simple as loading a new OS onto my home PC. Computers I get fully, but for some reasons phones elude me.
Q1: You will need BuildOS, aka "the kitchen". This is where you "cook" the customized ROM to your carrier specification and can add some additional programs. There are alot of versions and you can get the current in the stickies at the top of this upgrade subforum. I believe the ugraded LennySH is the most current.
Q2/3:You are flashing the ROM (=Read Only Memory), where the OS files reside. Flash (=update) and you use the RUU (ROM Update Utility) in the kitchen in conjunction with Activesync to transfer the ROM to the phone. Because of the kitchen, you can also place other programs as well. Because it is ROM, you can't change this file by file (e.g. like a PC OS upgrade). You have to reflash the entire ROM.
Q4: Not likely to brick although at times you may think it is. Take special note of your bootloader version (v2.05 is especially bad). Most problems arise with a ROM that is too big (e.g. you specified too many items while cooking) and you get stuck at various pre-boot stages on the phone. Just keep reading on all the problems and get an idea of the terminology so that you can describe it here. It has most likely been observed already so check the stickies in the main Apache forum. Check out the tutorials. Just do a search for "tutorial". Hope this helps.
This post has been thanked 1 times.