View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 AM
syrguy1969
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Who has the best backup software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy View Post
Please indulge me as I have a few more question about using this software.

How often do the people using SPB backup actually backup their devices?
Do you schedule one using the SPB software weekly calendar?
I have seen people do as many as one a night, but personally, I only do them about once a month, or right before and after a new install, tweak, or revisioning of my device. I figure if a hard reset is called for, there wouldn't be much difference between a daily or monthly backup except POSSIBLY dome data or scheduling (usually taken care of in the next data update, or sync anyway).
Quote:
That scheduled backup is between the device and the storage card. If you have your PC synced with the device, how often do you do backups with the PC?
You don't actually do the backup ON the PC, your backup files are automatically ported over to your PC behind the scenes, so you can keep your latest only on your card, and have the peace of mind that all your past ones are still on the PC (assuming you delete them AFTER a sync LOL)!!

Quote:
What compression level are you using for your backups?
I use standard, I never saw a need for compressing any more (possibly backing up the actual memory card, that can lead to memory issues, so comressing may be a good thing there).

Quote:
Do any of you check the box in general options for the "stand-alone restorer" and why?
I usually do, that creates a backup file with an exe in it, and that allows you to run that file and do a backup without the entire backup app installed (a self-running file so-to-speak).

Quote:
Under Files options do you check the box for "Skip previous backup files" and why?
I do, I never saw the sence of backing up a backup. If you have all the older ones on your PC your good to go. About the only instance this idea occured useful to me is if your backing up your memory card, and you run the backup on another memory card, or as a restore in general, then it will mirror the original, including the PIM, or system backups that may have been on the card (but that is a bit on the more advanced user side)!!

I hope that helped more than confused, I tried to keep the answers simple in the first line, and then explain a bit more.