Old 05-04-2008, 03:49 PM
gmack
Lurker

gmack is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Other Methods to make a cab file

Stupid me

the excellent tutorial that GoodThings2Life wrote is for smart phones, and i was trying it on a pda

now i done some more testing and found following:

It looks like the cab files differs depending on if you have a PDA (like me) and a smart phone.

To create the cab file you normaly write a .inf file and for a SP use cabwizsp.exe and for PDA's cabwiz.exe. The cabwizSP packs the files that should be included in the archive and creates and includes the install script in form of _setup.xml. the metod described by GoodThings2Life is only to skip inf and write the xml your self.

For PDA, you also create an .inf file ( you can use the same as used for SP i think) but use cabwiz.exe which also packs the files and makes an install script called "yourapplicationname".000 and includes it in the cab.

This .ooo file you cant write by hand i think, when it looks like it is complied/compressed. But i can be wrong here.

Last we have WinCE cab manager. It includes two setup files when you choose all types (id=0), bot the xml and .000 file. This makes it doesn't matter if you install it on PDA or SP.

I hope i got i right, if not....

(sorry if my english is bad)
This post has been thanked 2 times.