Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 AM
DrRoger
N00b
Threadstarter

DrRoger is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
About Delorme Street Atlas

As I mentioned above, I bought this program Street Atlas 2009+ with a BT-20 GPS receiver. The receiver's overall dimensions are about 80% that of a credit card, but its a bit fat at about half an inch. I believe there are units out there half that thickness now. It is reasonably fast. After you exit the program it sometimes struggles to get a connection but eventually does.

Street Atlas maps can be downloaded on to the handheld. Greater Washington DC took about 30 MB and its sloooow on the handheld. Just press on a zoom button and you'll wait two minutes for the program to redraw. But you can select the amount of detail and cut the file size so I need to experiment. As to the actual functioning of the software in the handheld, it is pathetic. I could not even enter an address for me to get to. It did have lots and lots of local businesses, but would only show the rough location and I could not map a route to the business, not in an easy intuitive way. This could have been the world's best GPS program for the money, and has instead turned out to be awful.

Roger